Friday 27 February 2009

Geography in Finland


Let's start now. I live in Finland since 2006, when I came for studies as an Erasmus exchange in the university of Joensuu. Though I had studied geography 2 years, in Finland I got a more concrete idea of what was it about, just because the courses had a more practical approach to human geography. I decided to stay and finish my masters degree in human geography, what nowadays I consider a good decision. I am happy with the geography department of the university of Joensuu. The staff is highly expert and very helpful, what I think a geography department should be. Professors are at the same level with students and that is something that at least in Spain I have hardly felt. I recommend Finland in general and Joensuu in particular as a place for studying geography.
Besides Joensuu, as far as I know there are geography departments in Helsinki, Turku, Tampere and Oulu. It is said that the one in Joensuu is very important because it is highly focused in the borderland region between Finland and Rusia, which is a very interesting border area.

No comments: