Monday 1 February 2010

Halo Effect

Last week I took this picture from the balcony of my flat looking South-West. I was very estranged with the shining arising from that building on a vertical way. After researching a bit, somebody told me it is a Halo phenomenon; an optical illusion that occurs when the sunbeams hit particles of ice that fly in the air about 5km high. That is understandable because that day was considerably cold and I believe ice was everywhere. Even though I know something about Northern lights and green rays, I never heard before about this halo effect. It is actually supposed to form arcs and curves in the sky but in this case it appears as a rather straight line. It is definitely another of the many wonders of nature during the Finnish winter. The problem is that in order to enjoy them one usually has to go outside and with -25ºC it is not very pleasant to spend long time out there.



That is why Finns are so happy when it is -5ºC and spring approaches, because they can ice-skate and enjoy their beloved nature without suffering too much. For those who are fascinated with such phenomenon and colors, welcome to Finland, welcome to this eventual paradise.

No comments: