Wednesday 3 February 2010

Titanic


Yes, the title makes reference to the film directed by James Cameron in 1997 about the sinking of RMS Titanic in April 1912. Everybody knows about this film and most of you have seen it. It is one of the greatest Hollywood productions of all time and the highest in gross-revenue after Avatar, directed by the way by the same guy. Yesterday I was watching the movie in question. I remember when it came out, I was 11 years old and I was a cinema enthusiast. I was the kind of kid that was so interested in a thing that everybody would take for granted it would eventually build a career in that field. Well, it hasn't been like that, but the point is that I saw Titanic twice in the cinema. The first time I went with my Mom, and the second time with my sister. I was specially interested in the special effects and the way the ship sinks leading most of the passengers to death by various means: drown, hit, fallen, shot, shocked, frozen.... This means that I didn't care much about the first hour and a half of the movie, basically because I did not understand the relevance of the events in the relationships between humans that build the plot of the film, and I didn't understand the difference in economic classes. So yesterday when I saw the film, I could interpret the events on a more documented way.
Although apparently many people consider this film a typical Hollywood film, with an obligatory impossible love story that distracts and even touches the audience before delighting it with catastrophes, I think everything is served on an adequate quantity. I think Jack and Rose's love story is fascinating and it does not really get corny enough to hate the rest of the film, so the audience can still enjoy the sinking without a bad taste in their mouths. When it comes to the way the movie presents the cool and lively poor class (3rd class) and the hateful and rancid aristocratic class (first class), I think it is absolutely flippant, because they don't show the second class, perhaps they are too busy watching the movie. Furthermore, Hockley, the fiancée of Rose, is in my opinion a too caricaturized character, because I don't believe there can exist such a diabolic son of a bitch; I would leave this character to the imaginations of the Disney film creators, perhaps they can actually give the audience the pleasure of seeing such an asshole dead. I like the idea of the pursuit of the jewel as an excuse to tell this story, but I doubt such a high-tech expedition can be arranged to find a piece of rock 4,000m bellow the sea surface.
In general, I think this movie is one of the greatest movies ever made and I think people should admit it, I think it is able to touch any of you even though you think you are tough as rocks. Titanic can submerge you into a love story just as the ship submerges into the water carrying all its secrets. And the funniest thing is that it manages to make you believe such a love story. Everything occurring with a brilliant mix of modern pop and traditional Irish music.

No comments: